Monday, November 22, 2004

Bed Head Does Wonders

Since a very long time, I've regarded hair-styling as a hussle and a waste of time. After all the thick lock on my head isnt exactly floppy, smooth and soft. Its just the total opposite. Frustrated with the fact that I could never be a comb-welding & hair-floppy ah-beng, I just let my garden grow. Even plants are monitored and taken care of properly. Just look at bonsai plants; constant pruning is a definite must. I just couldnt be bothered. Or maybe just a "for-the-sake-of-it" touch here and there, and thats it--im off! When it gets too long, a head down to the barber will settle the thick crop of bush.

Things changed after army. Suddenly, everyone was alike. No hairstlye whatsoever. Either you have your head botak or crew-cut.

Then came this trend of spikey-hairdos. And the invention of wax became a historical hallmark for all punk wannabes. From ah bengs to executives, this infectious trend took the world by storm. Suddenly, everyone seem to be in approval of Esplanade's "state-of-art" design. Ahem...or rather durian-inspired.


Durian or art?

ORD is not just a break from army. It also means freedom. After 2 & a half years of regimentation, nobody wants to be reminded of the army. No doubt,it includes the crew-cut. This created an atmosphere for experimentation. Some coloured their hair, some became confused with their sexuality(long, rebonded, F4-inspired hairdos),some used gel like theres no tomorrow & of course some just cant be bothered. I fell in between the last and second last category.

However, laziness took the better of me. I began to slip into the last category and I've been in it for some time now. The parting i kept before army somehow never came back. Hence, there was no hair styling at all. Since it was short and i often requested to have my crop thinned, my not-so-soft hair disobeyed the laws of gravity. I've harnessed my hair's "talent" and honed my skills of styling a bed-head. Waking up in the morning has never been so convenient ever since i perfected this art. All you have to do is just wake up and scuffle your hair like there are a million lice in your hair. Hahaha.

A bed head is not just a difficult hair style to do. It is also a political statement. Its like wearing a tamohawk hairdo or a skin-head. But don't always judge people by the way they look. After all, on some lucky days, you may wake up with that perfect bed-head; and thats unintentional.


Official Ambassador of the "Bed-Head" hair-do

The next time you are late for any appointment, do consider mastering the art of styling a bed-head. You never know when it comes in handy. It saved me some travelling time when i was late for a KTV session with my friends today. Who knows it may save yours too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home